[Pw_forum] Question on epsilon.x

Andrea Ferretti ferretti at mit.edu
Thu May 27 18:43:17 CEST 2010

Hi Mohsen,

epsilon.x computes the matrix elements of the momentum p,
which is not easy to augment in a ultrasoft-pp fashion (at variance with
operators which are functions of r, i.e. local).

According to the size of system you want to study, you may want to generate
your own norm-conserving pseudopotentials for Ba and Ti.

The other possibility is instead to use the PAW formalism, where the
augmentation of p matrix elements is as easy as for r.
(of course this would require the generation of the PAW dataset, and some
implementation)

Related to the program epsilon.x:
optical response can be also calculated through the matrix elements
of the operator e^(iqr), which can be augmented easily with USPP.
Unfortunately, using this solution would require to re-write the program almost
from scratch (not recommended).
Anyway if you want to follow this possibility,
I would then start from a working norm-conserving implementation of it, as the
ones in Sax or Yambo

hope it helps
Andrea

BTW: in future posts please remember to add your affilication, according to the
"politeness policy" of this forum

--
Andrea Ferretti
Oxford University, Department of Materials

Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments