[Pw_forum] dipole moment of thin polar films

Ngoc Linh Nguyen nnlinh at sissa.it
Fri May 21 18:22:53 CEST 2010

mohnish pandey wrote:
> Dear users,
>                   I want to calculate the dipole moment of some thin
> polar films. Does QE has any module for doing the same?
You should read this archives that's related to turning on dipole
correction.
 http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/pw_forum/2009-March/011935.html
Then read in
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/input-syntax/INPUT_PW.html#id3900364
about the input of "dipfield" and others related.
> And if it does have then that dipole moment is per unit volume (volume
> of the supercell ) or it is total dipole moment? I am really stuck in
> this.
Can you define "total dipole moment"?, In my opinion , if you consider a
space, you will have dipole moment only in that space.

Hope this help

Linh

> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> --