[Pw_forum] negative frequency

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 13:46:33 CEST 2010

Dear Ghosh,

Well, first of all, negative modes near q=2/3(111)  means QE works correctly!!!
As bcc Zr is a high temperature phase, but DFT deals with T=0K, so, there is no direct way to get stable modes for bcc Zr (Ti, Hf). Instability near q=2/3(111) means the possiblity to transform to \omega phase.

At high temperatures phonon-phonon interaction (anharmonicity) becomes important, but it is quite difficult to implement it directly. In the paper you mentioned they do account anharmonic terms (see the papar).

What you can do? Of course, you can perform MD calculations at high temerature and even get  Phonon DOS, but in this way you can not calculate phonon dispersions.
Not sure, D3 code can do this (phonon dispersions).
The only code that deals with phonons at high temperature is so called SCAILD code. But it is not linear response method, it is based on direct (supercell) method.
I am thinking about is it possible to implement it in QE (sure, it will take time).
For reference see PRL 100, 095901 (2008).

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,

DeTheoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,partment of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com