[Pw_forum] negative frequency

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri May 21 13:10:47 CEST 2010

If a negative (i.e. imaginary ) frequency is present at a non-zero q
point this means that the system is unstable w.r.t a displacement at
that q vector and therefore the unit cell for the (static) equilibrium
geometry should actually be larger than the one you have chosen and
should such that the unstable q-vector folds into the Gamma point of
the  super-cell.
This is indeed the case for bcc Zr where if I remember correctly the bcc
phase is stable only at high temperature due to anharmonic effects [see
for instance PRB 31 6775-6778 (1985)  and PRL 58, 1769-1772 (1987) by
Chen, Fu, Ho, and Harmon]

Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS