[Pw_forum] phonon modes for transition state

elbuesta at icqmail.com elbuesta at icqmail.com
Thu May 20 15:19:59 CEST 2010

 From my experience with phonons (that is not big), yes it can and very well. I performed a few phonon calculations on noble metals on transition states generated from NEB optimizations, like you did, and the results obtained were good, one negative frequency corresponding to the exchange path and the all the others positive.

All I can say is what is mostly written on the manuals and examples, you have to be really carefull with the thresholds. The energy cutoff must be significant, the charge cutoff very big specially if there is vacuum, a good number of k points are required if the cell is small, the convergence for sel-consistency must be really strict (I would say conv_thr=10-12) and the phonon convergence also (tr2_ph<10-16). I hope it helps.

Fabio Negreiros Ribeiro
Departamento de Fisica, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil