[Pw_forum] negative frequency

Mike Mehl Michael.Mehl at nrl.navy.mil
Wed May 19 18:11:32 CEST 2010

On 05/19/2010 08:11 AM, partha sarathi ghosh wrote:
> Dear all,
>               I am trying to do phonon calculation of bcc-Zr from
> (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) in q-space.But I am getting negative frequencies in
> several q-points, also my curve is very different from experimental one.
> I optimized the system w.r.t ecutwf, ecutrho ,conv_thr, k-point sampling
> .I also tried the same calculation by changing potential also.I am new
> fellow in this field so I am unable to understand what is happening wrong !!

First, the ground state of Zr is HCP, not BCC, so you shouldn't expect
being able to match the HCP phonon spectrum.  With a bcc calculation.

Second, the high-temperature hcp-bcc transition is driven by an unstable
bcc phonon, so, yes, you'd expect "negative" (actually imaginary)
frequencies at some k-points.  See below.  It's written about Mg, but it
will apply to Zr as well.

@Article{wentzcovitch88:hcp_to_bcc,
author =         {Renata M. Wentzcovitch and Marvin L. Cohen},
title =          {Theoretical model for the hcp-bcc transition in Mg},
journal =        {Phys. Rev. B},
year =   1988,
volume =         37,
number =         10,
pages =  {5571-5576},
month =  {April},
url =            {http://link.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v37/p5571},
doi =            {10.1103/PhysRevB.37.5571},
keywords = {structure},
abstract =       {Using a first-principles total-energy pseudopotential
method, we investigate the transition mechanism for a pressure-induced
martensitic transformation hcp-->bcc which occurs in Mg at pressures
around 50 GPa. Two internal structural degrees of freedom are selected
and one lattice is transformed into the other by relaxing these two
parameters continuously.  One of the parameters characterizes the
relative displacement of the hexagonal layers and corresponds to a
transverse phonon at the Brillouin-zone edge A in the hexagonal
structure.  The other characterizes the distortion of the internal
hexagonal angles and corresponds to uniform strain along one of the
[0010][hcp] directions.  The interaction between these two distortion
modes causes important anharmonic effects in the zone-edge phonon a
nd provides a low-energy path for the structural transition. The small
activation barrier at the transition indicates that quantum fluctuations
between the two structures could be taking place.}

--
Michael J. Mehl
Head, Center for Computational Materials Science