[Pw_forum] degauss

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it
Sat May 8 14:05:28 CEST 2010

Dear Raheleh

In the case of degauss, you should use the smallest value at which your
calculation does not struggle to converge. Try, e.g., 0.01 Ry. Look in the
output at the smearing contribution to total energy

smearing contrib. (-TS)   =       0.00081361 Ry

and make some tests to ensure that your total energy values are quite
unaffected by different smearing values.
If your system is an insulator, you should face no particular problems.

In the case of mixing beta, you can start with a quite high value, e.g., 0.5,
in a davidson diagonalization scheme. If your scf calculation does not
converge you could try to reduce the mixing value down to 0.1 or 0.05 (this
will slow your calculation...) or to use the robust cg diagonalization scheme
(this will slow very much your calculation...).

Hope this helps

Giuseppe

On Saturday 08 May 2010 10:04:55 raheleh vaziri wrote:
> Dear All,
>

>  I don't know that my molecule is metal, insulator or semiconductor , thus,
> what is suitable value for degauss and mixing_beta?
>
> thank you for any help
>
> Raheleh Vaziri.

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00016 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316