[Pw_forum] band structure of bi layer graphene

Elie Moujaes elie.moujaes at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 02:20:04 CET 2010

Dear all,

I am trying to obtain the band structure of graphene. to do that, I supposed that celldim(1) =4.608737, celldm(3)=4.53666 so that c is 4.53666 *a....The carbon atoms are chosen such that:

ATOMIC_POSITIONS crystal
 C 0.000000  0.000000  0.000000  1 1 1
 C 0.000000  0.000000  0.200000  1 1 1
 C 0.333333  -0.33333  0.000000  1 1 1
 C -0.333333  0.33333   0.200000  1 1 1

we have 4 carbon atoms in bilayer graphene and the primitive cell has a z direction of 0.2*c= 1/5 so that the primitive cell is 3D. Since QE is a 3D program, I thought that setting c= 4.5366 will produce an image of the primitive cell that is 4.53666*4.608737 Bohrs away from the original one so that no interaction happens( in the acse of which I will be modelling something similar to graphite). I got the results whioch are satisfactory but still need some  amendments...I just want to know if this line of thought is correct and if someone can have a look at the graph because it is not entirely correct. Maybe I need to increase the number of points.. I am open to suggestions if any...You will find ps file attached....

Regards

ELie moujaes

University of Nottingham

NG7 2RD

UK

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/