[Pw_forum] DOS at Ef

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at na.infn.it
Wed Mar 24 12:08:48 CET 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Olga Sedelnikova wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I need to calculate the value of DOS at Ef. But I could not find it in the out files of pw.x (neither for scf -  nor for nscf - calculations) or in the out files of PP codes (dos.x and projwfc.x.).
> How can I find this value?

I don't remember if Ef is printed in the output of pw.x. However, you can just use the definition:

the Fermi level is the energy level at which the integrated density of states equals the number of electrons. If you use a plot program, e.g. xmgrace,
you can plot the DOS as a function of energy, then calculate the integrated dos (IDOS):

IDOS(E) = \int_{-infty}^E   [ dE' DOS(E') ]

and from the resulting curve calculate Ef as the energy at which IDOS(Ef) = number of electrons

giovanni

--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD
CNR-SPIN and Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche

ResearcherID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-1951-2009
Web page: http://people.na.infn.it/~cantele
                     http://www.nanomat.unina.it