[Pw_forum] Fortran compiler

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Tue Mar 16 10:18:20 CET 2010

Replying to message "[Pw_forum] Fortran compiler" from Vo, Trinh (388C)
(15/03/10):
> I am planning to install some Fortran compiler and MPI for running QE on
> my cluster.  I don’t have Intel compiler (previously I only used Intel
> Compiler on another cluster), and I don’t know which free compiler and
> MPI are most suited for QE.  Could you give me advise on which compiler
> and MPI that I should install for use with QE.

Also the Sun compiler is free <developers.sun.com/sunstudio/>, and comes
with a set of algebra libraries that can be
used in place of the slow built-in libraries. It also supports openmp,
which g95 does not. On the other hand, it is a pain to compile mpi with
it. Furthermore the most recent version has a terrible bug that totally
miscompiles the iotk input/output library (you'll have to compile it with
reduced optimization).

In case you are planning to give it a try I would suggest you contact me
so I can tell you the 2 or 3 hacks that are necessary.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto
SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS (Trieste)