[Pw_forum] about the from scale_h : error

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Wed Mar 3 13:35:59 CET 2010

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 12:30:32 +0100, Wei Zhou <zdw2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> the initial structure is get from the VASP soft,and is consist with the
>> experiment at 500kba,

Dear Wei,
I think you may have done a unit of measure mistake while converting the
system parameters from VASP to QE. In order to get the huge pressure you
are requiring the cell parameter has to shrink by a factor ~ 0.57 (i.e not
too far away from the bohr/Angstrom conversion). Furthermore, you smearing
degauss is probably too high (remember it is expressed in Rydberg) and you
cutoff energy is probably unnecessarily high (the pseudopotential you are
using is well converged at much lower ecutwfc and ecutrho).

> I wonder if the two Ba pseudo potential of pwscf web cannot  work at
> high pressre..........

It is possible: when the atoms get very close to each other you need
harder pseudopotentials; however that's not the cause of your problem, I
would bet on the smearing instead.

regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto

*** Note: my affiliation has changed! please send future
correspondence to: <Lorenzo.Paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> ***

post-doc @ IMPMC/UPMC - Université Paris 6
phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 74 89
www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/