[Pw_forum] Running Example 01 (Parallel Running on a single PC with 3 cores, AMD, LAM-MPI)

O. Baris Malcioglu baris.malcioglu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 09:57:18 CET 2010

Dear Masoud

First of all, let me kindly mention that opening several threads for
the same problem is not very nice, these messages are sent to many
people that follow the topics thread by thread, and not everyone is
interested in this particular problem. It is also not very nice for
people searching the forum.

Now, regarding your problem: I would recommend you to read some
documentation regarding how to set up and use parallel execution
environments before setting up Q-E. It seems to me that the problem
you are experiencing is due to lack of proper communication between
the different processes. The observation you made that mpi wrappers
for compilers are working does not imply that the parallel environment
is working. Did you try a simple test program like :

#include <stdio.h>
#include "mpi.h"
int main(int argc, char **argv) {
   int rank;
   int namelen;
   MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);
   MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);
   printf("Hello world (Rank: %d)\n", rank);
   fflush(stdout);
   MPI_Finalize();
   return 0;
}

My personal preference on the matter is to use openmpi, not lam, but
its your choice. Be careful about lamboot, and how you set the spawned
processes to communicate.

Best.
Baris