[Pw_forum] KZK method

Luke Shulenburger lshulenburger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 20:50:33 CEST 2010

My understanding is that the correction should apply regardless of the
stress on the structure.  Certainly the correction would not be right
if the KZK structure was different from the one used for QMC and LDA.
At the end of the day though, the only way to be 100% sure this is
working correctly is to try a couple of supercell sizes and see two
things.  The first is that the corrected energy agrees for larger
supercell sizes and the second is that extrapolations of the
uncorrected energy to the infinite supercell limit agree with the
finite size corrected result.  Figure 3 of the original KZK paper
(Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 126404 (2008)) should illustrate how this works
for Si.  You might also want to compare the results to those obtained
using the MPC+Chiesa correction (Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 076404 (2006))
if your QMC code supports it.

Luke
Geophysical Laboratory
Carnegie Institution of Washington