[Pw_forum] MnSe-passivation

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Jun 9 10:27:06 CEST 2010

pristine semiconductor surfaces may show dangling bonds which correspond
to partially filled electronic surface states in the gap.
Nature dislikes this situation and semiconductor surfaces reconstruct ,
even in rather complicated ways, in order to eliminate these partially
filled surface states.
Passivating with hydrogen is a computationally easy way to saturate
these dangling bonds without inducing large reconstructions/relaxations.
If your surface does not show dangling bonds you do not need to
passivate them.
best,
  stefano