[Pw_forum] My installation of Espresso 4.1/4.2 is not passing benchmarks

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Wed Jun 2 16:47:57 CEST 2010

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 02:05:35 +0200, Christopher O'Brien
<cjobrien at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Perhaps the most disturbing were those involving simple SCF calculations
> such as:
>> Checking atom-pbe...discrepancy in pressure detected
>> Reference: -14.44, You got: -14.43
>> Checking atom-sigmapbe...discrepancy in pressure detected
>> Reference: -15.02, You got: -15.03

Dear Christopher,
I wouldn't worry about such a discrepancy. Those test involve isolated
atoms, where pressure is not really meaningful. In general, different
optimized algebraic libraries (ATLAS, MKL, ACML...) use different tricks
to increase performance but, as a trade-off, they are not alway
consistent. This introduces some noise in the parts of the code that are
more sensible to it, especially pressure.

regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto

*** Note: my affiliation has changed! please send future
correspondence to: <Lorenzo.Paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> ***

post-doc @ IMPMC/UPMC - Université Paris 6
phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 74 89
www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/