[Pw_forum] problem with vc-relax

Olga Sedelnikova o.sedelnikova at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 08:09:20 CEST 2010

 Dear Sanjeev,

The problem is not with wrong charge. The error "charge is wrong" appeared
only for current options (smearing='mv', dynamics='damp', cg
diagonalization). If I use other physically appropriate options I will
obtain other errors: problem with davidson diagonalization, too small
trust_radius for bfgs method and sometimes error from efirmig.f90 "internal
error, cannot braket Ef". I have checked the dynamics of unit cell during
vc-relaxation by XCrySDen and found that interlayer distance and bond length
in graphite decreased  to ~ 2 and 1.2   Angstroms correspondingly. For
graphene calculations the unit cell was compressed along the z-axis and C-C
bond length decreased. However the "relax" calculation is fine.

Can anybody recommend the right options for "vc-relax" calculation of
graphite?

Thank you,

Olga Sedelnikova
Nikolaev Institute of Inorganic Chemistry of SB RAS