[Pw_forum] how can I plot phonon dispersion and the a2F(omega) vs. omega function curve?

Haruhiko Dekura dekura at sci.ehime-u.ac.jp
Fri Jul 23 09:32:37 CEST 2010

Dear wangwei

> What is the meaning of the files named a2F.dos.1,..., a2Fdos.10?

alpha^2F: alpha^2 means electron-phonon coupling strength, and F means phonon density of states.
Normally, we call this function as "Eliashberg function" in metallic system. In the formulation of a^2F, you see the delta functions and it's to be treated by Gaussian in espresso, and then we should have the smearing width of broadening. The number attached with a2F.dos.* correspond to the each width.
a2Fdos file shows the a^2F as the function of  phonon frequency.

> which file can be used to plot a2F(omega) vs. omega function curve and how to
> plot it?

The best one is depending on the accuracy in your calculations.
I'would say, check the convergency of lambda with respect to the number of k-points in el-ph calculation, Gaussian smearing width, as well as typical checks before el-ph calculation (the convergency of phonon frequency and total electronic energy against Ecut and k-poins, smearing width...and so on.)

As for the plotting, you can select whatever you want to use, such as gnuplot.

Best Regards.
Haruhiko Dekura