[Pw_forum] how does the quantum espresso scale with increasingthe number of nodes.

Huiqun Zhou hqzhou at nju.edu.cn
Thu Jul 22 03:48:59 CEST 2010

vicky,

If by node you mean a compute node with 4 or 8 CPU cores, I'm afraid you
used too much compute resource. I had ever successfully optimized a spin
polarized structure with 56 atoms by vc-relax on one compute node with 8
CPU cores within several hours. Although you didn't mention what system
you are calculating, I strongly recommend you try to run on one or two nodes
to see how much wall time it'll take.

Efficiency of parallel computing depends on many things, one of which is the
system size. Usually you need to do simpler calculations to determine how
many cpu cores are optimal for your job.

huiqun zhou
@earth sciences, nanjing University, china