[Pw_forum] Sym.Ops

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Wed Jul 21 12:41:51 CEST 2010

On 07/21/2010 10:59 AM, Masoud Nahali wrote:
> Dear PWscf Users
>
> For the graphite bulk, in the output file I see "24 Sym.Ops." but for
> the graphite surface (a slab with 10 angstrom vacuum) I see "6
> Sym.Ops." . Is this plausible and correct ?

The symmetry operations are determined correctly in the code. The
symmetry group that you get for a graphite slab depends on which type of
graphite you consider  (i.e. hexagonal or Bernal) and how you build your
slab. If your system has a mirror plane coinciding with z=0 (assuming z
to be the stacking direction), then you will get 24 operations for an
hexagonal graphite slab and 12 for a Bernal graphite slab (which is the
maximum of the symmetry operations possible for each of the two systems).
To get more information about the symmetry on the output you can specify
verbosity='high'.

HTH

GS

> I appreciate your help.