[Pw_forum] about U value determination in DFT+U calculation

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Jul 20 12:31:10 CEST 2010

On 07/20/2010 11:24 AM, Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:
> Dear Jia Chen,
>
>    do you really need to use this specific pseudopotential? It looks
> like it was built for specific purposes (XPS calculations) and has
> some non-standard features (in my opinion at least). Specifically, it
> has more wavefunctions than beta projectors and moreover the 3d
> channel is treated as local (I don't if and how this may affect
> transferability).
> However the 3D wavefunction is present and has occupation greater than
> zero (contrary to the 4D wfc), so I can't see the reason why the code
> should give such result.

Actually I realized that the subroutine checks if the occupation is
greater OR equal to zero, so that in your case the 4D wavefunction is
actually selected, because it is listed after the 3D.

You can solve this problem by changing the following line (in
offset_atom_wfc.f90)
    IF ( upf(nt)%lchi(n) == Hubbard_l(nt) ) offset(na) = counter
into
    IF ( upf(nt)%oc(n) > 0.D0 .AND. upf(nt)%lchi(n) == Hubbard_l(nt) )
offset(na) = counter

I don't know if this fix does fit the general logic of DFT+U and
deserves to be included permanently in the code: maybe it does, since in
most cases one puts the +U correction to (partly) occupied electronic
manifolds. At least so far I haven't seen anyone applying it to empty
shells... does anyone have a clue/hint about that?

GS