[Pw_forum] Is the Graphite surface flate?

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Jul 6 10:07:25 CEST 2010

On 07/05/2010 08:19 PM, Masoud Nahali wrote:
> Dear Quantum Espresso users
>
> I optimized the graphite bulk and the layers were completely flat. But
> when I try to "relax" the graphite surface (slab 2*2 with 3 monolayer)
> with 10 angstrom vacuum all the layers become extremely ripple!!! I
> can not find the problem. May it related to the number of layers?
> anyhow the number of layers is like the bulk. Your help would be a
> great gift.
> __
Are you using the experimental or the theoretical value for the in-plane
(graphene) C-C distance? I guess that the PBE value is larger than the
experimental one, so that if you start from the experimental C-C
distance in the graphene layer and let everything relax, then the atoms
would like to go towards the theoretical equilibrium distance and this
may cause the rippled structure.
Secondly, I don't know if you can pretend that the innermost layer is
graphite bulk-like, having only three layers in total.

HTH

GS

--

Gabriele Sclauzero, EPFL SB ITP CSEA