[Pw_forum] CVS vs. SVN

Norbert Nemec Norbert.Nemec.list at gmx.de
Thu Jan 28 19:30:21 CET 2010

Is there reason in favor of CVS except for "better stay with what we know"?

In my experience, the difference between various version control systems
is far bigger than what one might think by just looking at the
difference in features. When stepping from CVS to SVN, one will
typically hardly notice a difference. There is a number of additional
features, but it may take a while until you need any one of those. Then,
try to do the step in the other direction and you will be amazed how
painful it is to work with CVS once you are used to SVN.

For me, the most important advantage of SVN is actually that it has far
better interoperability with other version control systems. Personally,
I use GIT for all my development work and simply import CVS or SVN
histories. CVS&GIT works reasonably well for importing but is an
absolute pain for committing changes. SVN&GIT works seamlessly in both
directions.

For this reason and as I believe in everyone's best interest I would
really hope that you to consider to move from CVS to SVN better sooner
than later.

Greetings,
Norbert Nemec