[Pw_forum] Charge and spin densities on radial grid given by PAW calculations

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Mon Jan 11 10:52:07 CET 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:20:52 +0100, Jones Tsz-Kai Wan
<jwan at phy.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote:

> Dear PWSCF users,
>
> I am working on hyperfine tensor and I need very precise description
> of charge and spin densities using PAW method. I suppose such
> densities are first calculated using radial grid in the code. However,
> the charge and spin densities are only given on the regular grid, but
> not on the radial grid. Does anyone know how I can obtain the
> charge/spin density on radial grid?

Dear Jones,
the PAW method does actually compute the one-center charges on radial
grids, but our implementation does not store it longer than necessary;
i.e. it is discarded right after computing the one-center contributions to
total energy. Nevertheless, you can alway reconstruct it from the "becsum"
terms:
  becsum_ij = \sum_n f_n <psi_n|beta_i><beta_j|psi_n> .
They are always stored and saved to file at the end of calculation.

You can find a prototype function that computes the all-electron valence
charge density on the real-space grid in recent enough (maybe only CVS)
versions of QE. Have a look at file PP/paw_postproc.f90 and at how it's
called in PP/punchplot.f90

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto

*** Note: my affiliation has changed! please send future
correspondence to:  ***

post-doc @ IMPMC/UPMC - Université Paris 6
phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 74 89
www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/