[Pw_forum] about orbital magnetic moment

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Feb 22 08:47:51 CET 2010

Dear Saqib,

saqib.javaid at ipcms.u-strasbg.fr wrote:
> Dear PWSCF users,
> I have question regarding orbital magnetic moment calculations. as per a n older
> post (2007), orbital magnetic moment calculations are not implemented in PWSCF.
> Is this still the case now ???

I think so.

If I remember correctly the issue has been discussed also more recently (of the order of a
few months ago, I cannot be more precise...). Perhaps, you can try to used the PDOS from
projwfc.x to compute some quantity related to what you are searching for. I don't have any
feedback if anyone even tried, but you can try to develop this suggestion for first. Or
even better, implement this magnetic moment calculation in Quantum Espresso if you think
that it could be useful also to other users.

HTH

GS