[Pw_forum] difference in DOS nad total projected density of states

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Feb 18 11:43:17 CET 2010

Dimpy Sharma wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Thanks a lot for replying my previous question! I would like to ask one
> more question.Its about the projected density of states.
>
>  I calculated the projected density of states ,and upon plotting the
> datas of output file
> pdosout_tot ,I found that my total density of states is higher than my
> total projected density of states.As the summation of all the PDOS must
> be same as total density of states.

This is not necessarily true, the DOS and the sum of all PDOS are not the same thing (do
you know the difference between the two?).
They biggest differences are above the Fermi energy, but some differences can be present
also below.
The "spilling factor" at the end of the output from projwfc.x gives you a measure of this.

Try to browse the forum archives to get something more about this topic, I believe it has
been discussed many times.

Regards,

GS