[Pw_forum] scf calculation for isolated hydrogen atoms

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Feb 12 16:23:20 CET 2010

Lorenzo Paulatto wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:41:44 +0100, Gabriele Sclauzero
> <sclauzer at sissa.it> wrote:
>> I still believe that the main problem in Dimpy's result is the self
>> interaction error for the 1s level, and even if you align the 1s level
>> to that reference energy you would still get a big error.
>
> I'll try to be clearer... I've attached input and output of a h1
> calculation for PAW (h.in, h.out): even though the total energy is ~ -1
> Ry, the Fermi energy is -4.1040 eV. Then I've repeated the calculation
> for the same system (hb.out), but I've slightly reduced the smearing
> (from 0.05 Ry to 0.03 Ry), and guess what? The total energy is the same
> to 8 significant digits, the energy levels are the same, but the Fermi
> energy is totally different: -2.5074 eV.

Maybe I was not clear enough as well... the reference energy I was referring to is not the
Fermi energy, but some value of the potential in the middle of the supercell.
Anyway, maybe we have gone too far with this discussion, since we agree on the fact that
one should not look at Ef for an isolated atom system.

GS