[Pw_forum] scf calculation for isolated hydrogen atoms

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Feb 12 13:32:14 CET 2010

Dear Dimpy,

Dimpy Sharma wrote:
> Hi there,
> I tried to calculate the ground state energy for isolated hydrogen atom
> with the following input,however I got the fermi energy level at
> -3.5661eV, while it should be -13.6eV.

I think that in your calculation, the Fermi level will be approximatively equal to the 1s
electron energy level. You should be aware that you are using a pseudopotential code: even
in the case of a one electron system you won't get something close to the true energy of
the 1s level of the hydrogenoid atom unless you use an all-electron formalism (maybe PAW
can give a n AE energy estimate).
Anyway, another big problem here is the self-interaction error. Even an AE calculation
would give you a not so good value, I suspect.
Maybe you can get something close to the experimental energy level by using ld1.x (as Lihn
suggested) and enabling the self-interaction correction (see Doc/INPUT_LD1.txt).
Besides all this, I believe that in general it is better to use fixed occupations from
input, rather than smearing, in atomic calculations with pw.x.

HTH

GS