[Pw_forum] scf calculation for isolated hydrogen atoms

Ngoc Linh Nguyen nnlinh at sissa.it
Thu Feb 11 17:02:05 CET 2010

Dimpy Sharma wrote:

> Hi there,
> I tried to calculate the ground state energy for isolated hydrogen
> atom with the following input,however I got the fermi energy level at
> -3.5661eV, while it should be -13.6eV.

Firstly, you should consider about the difference of the ground state
energy of an isolated Hydrogen atom and the ground state energy of a
periodic boundary condition system (it is similar to the bulk of Hydrogen).

If you want to calculate an isolated hydrogen atom, I suggest to use
Atomic Calculation ld1.x better than to use PWSCF.

Secondly, If you still want to use PWSCF, I think you should reconsider:
   - celldm(1) =15. That should be large enough.
    -  nbnd = 2,   nspin=2,   starting_magnetization(1)=0.5  ???. I
think you are wrong here because hydrogen have only 1 electron.

Linh