[Pw_forum] Development of a Pseudopotential Database and a community call for pseudopotentials

Derek Stewart stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Wed Feb 10 16:49:04 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

I am happy to announce that the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure
Network (NNIN) is currently developing a Virtual Vault for
Pseudopotentials.  This will provide a centralized searchable database
of pseudopotentials from a wide range of codes, links to tools to
convert between formats, and also references to publications where those
potentials were used.  I am also working on developing scripts that will
also provide automatic metrics for pseudopotentials (i.e. predicted
lattice constants, bulk modulus, energy cut-off, etc).

I have participated in the Quantum Espresso mailing list for a long time
and I have always been impressed by the strong sense of community and
the support provided to new and experienced users.  One thing I know we
have all encountered is the need to track down or generate a new
pseudopotential when we move to a new material.  After finding one, a
great deal of time can also be spent on determining whether we can
actually trust the pseudopotential.  Pseudopotential requests come up
quite often on the QE mailing list.  I am hopeful that the Virtual Vault
will provide a resource that can help address this need in the
community, direct new users to previous research, and help accelerate
our research.

However, in order to make this effort a success, it is essential to have
a comprehensive database of pseudopotentials.  For this, I am asking for
your help and contributions.

If you have developed a pseudopotential for Quantum Espresso that is not
currently listed in QE periodic table (http://www.pwscf.org/pseudo.php),
please send it to me along with any details you have on it.  Also,
please let me know if you have used it in a publication.

In addition, if anyone is interested in taking an active part in this
effort (I know there are several pseudopotential experts in the QE
community), please let me know.

To learn more about the project, please see:
http://www.nnin.org/nnin_comp_psp_vault.html

I will also let everyone know when the pseudopotential database is online.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

Derek Stewart

--
Derek Stewart, Ph. D.