[Pw_forum] how to conver to unit of eV/atom in supercell?

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Feb 4 09:08:41 CET 2010

Wong Kelvin wrote:
> Dear all
>
> when i calculate a single atomc Cu primitive cell, the energy is ~ -87

What are you trying to compute? An isolated atom or a bulk phase? In any case, if you are
using pseudopotentials the total energy has not any physical meaning by itself. What is
physically relevant are energy differences.

> Ry. How to convert it to the eV/atom which normally is around -3.7 eV?

Where did you get this value of -3.7 and what does it actually refer to? I mean, to which
physical quantity?

GS