[Pw_forum] Bilayer graphene subject to an electric field

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 22:40:59 CET 2010

Hi,

A  couple of comments that might be useful.

1. As you use an US pseudopotential, reduce ecutwfc down to ~30Ry. I do not see
any reason for such kind of high cutoff energy, unless you performed some tests
and proved that 60Ry is better. Besides, for the same reason (US PsP), you
should use more ecutrho (8-12 times of  ecutwfc). By default ecutrho=4*ecutwfc
(why so, think about) and this works for norm-conserving PsPs.

As a reference see  N.Mounet and N. Marzari, Phys. Rev. B 71, 205214 (2005),
where they used ecutoff=40Ry for graphene and other C-based structures.

2. I have noticed that the job started to converge when I used smaller
efield_cart(3)=0.05,  after 49  iteration  I had

     estimated scf accuracy    <       0.00007068 Ry

but then my notebook turned off due to a heating problem, I suggest. As I just
tried to test the problem I used only 2x2x1 k-points set, and
mixing_beta(1)=0.05.

But when I used   efield_cart(3)=0.005 (with mixing coefficient  0.1) the job
finished after 11 iterations.

Hope this helps.

Bests,
Eyvaz.
Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University,
Sweden

Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys,
Russia,

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com