[Pw_forum] Oxygen molecule binding energy

Sandro Scandolo scandolo at ictp.it
Tue Dec 7 09:14:06 CET 2010

In the specific case of the O2 molecule, in a molecular orbital picture
O2 has two degenerate pi-star HOMO orbitals that need to be filled with
2 electrons. The ground state is a triplet S=1  (up,up),
(up,down)+(down,up),(down,down), the next state is a singlet
(up,down)-(down,up). A good representation of the triplet should be
given by the ground state of a spin-polarized calculation. The ground
state should have nup-ndown=2, and the two unpaired electrons fill the
two pi-star orbitals (with the same spin). I believe you don't need to
impose any symmetry to find this ground state. If you force the system
to have total spin=0 (in a spin-polarized calculation), you should
obtain the state (up,down) (or its degenerate counterpart (down,up)).
This state does not satisfy the correct symmetry of the 2-electron wfc,
so in principle does not correspond to any of the correct many-electron
states above. However this spurious state can be expressed as a linear
combination (sum or difference) of one of the triplet states
((up,down)+(down,up)) and the singlet state ((up,down)-(down,up)).
Perhaps its energy corresponds to the average energy of the triplet and
the singlet??!?

Best regards
Sandro

Sandro Scandolo -- http:/www.ictp.it/~scandolo