[Pw_forum] Oxygen molecule binding energy

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Dec 6 09:45:58 CET 2010

Nicola Marzari wrote:
> I've never managed to get from anyone, including some of the luminaries
> in the fundamentals of DFT, a clear answer to which solution is the
> "correct" one. Note that even with nosym=.true. you ahve the option
> of having occupation 2.0 on 2 of the p orbitals, or occupation
> 1.3333333 on oeach of the 3 p orbitals - the latter solution
> would probably be similar to the symmetrized solution (but shouldn't
> be identical).

I think there's no general consensus whether it's "more correct" to have
the lowest possible energy giving up the known symmetry of the  true GS
or to constraint the system to the expected symmetry accepting a
slightly higher energy... Of course the "true" xc functional would not
put you in this dilemma, but while awaiting for it, I think the
important thing is to be aware of the two alternatives and clearly state
which one one chooses to conpare with.

stefano