[Pw_forum] Same Plane Waves for two calculations

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Aug 9 22:53:58 CEST 2010

Hi Peter! It makes a lot of sense! Just use the same supercell, the same kinetic-energy cutoff, and the same k-point sampling for all the calculations you want to compare. As simple as that ... SB

On Aug 7, 2010, at 9:00 PM, Peter O Orondo wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don’t know if this is possible (or even if the question makes sense), but I want to use the same set of plane waves for two different SCF calculations . Basically, I want to calculate the chemical potential of H in a metal lattice. To do that, I set up the metal lattice with H in an O-site and calculate its ground state energy. I need to compare the results with those from putting H in a large vacuum space. And to make the comparison as accurate as possible, I want the same plane waves used in the H-in-Metal-Lattice calculation to be used in the H2-in-a-vacuum calculation.
>
> Is this possible in QE?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter Orondo
> Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> MIT

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center - Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale de la pensée - Jean Piaget