[Pw_forum] Operating System for Intel Core i7 processor.

vega lew quantumdft at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 05:15:49 CEST 2010

  I think whether i7 could speed up you task is depend on the demand of
bandwidth of the task, because the bandwidth is enhanced in the i7 CPUs
and related mother board chips. If your task require  extremely large
bandwidth of  RAM, which is beyond your old hardware platform could
give, your task could be speed up by i7 CPUs in this case. If you task
only have a small demand of bandwidth of RAM, and there is no obvious
communication jam between CPUs and RAM in your old hardware, you task
might more depends on the frequency of CPUs.

By the way how did you connect your 8 CPUs? by ether net or infiniband?
The network might be another cause of the inefficient speed up. And I
think i7 is a CUP for PC. For servers which performing large
calculations you should choose XEON 5600 series or AMD 6100.

hope helps.

vega

On 2010-08-05 00:22, nand wrote:
> Dear PW Users,
> To speed up my DFT calculations and for larger requirement of RAM i am
> using a system with an Intel core i7 processor and CentOS-5.3 as my
> operating system (OS). I would like to know if these two go well hand
> in hand or there is some other OS that can make better use of Intel
> core i7 processor. The isntallation of Quantum Espresso 4.2.1 was done
> sucessfully and is running well. However  I find its not as fast as i
> could have expected. Does this have to do something with the
> installation process. Is there something to do with optimising the 8
> CPUs that is seen listed in my hardware list.
> Thanks a Million
> Nand Rana
> Research scholar,
> Ranchi University.
> India

Vega Lew ( weijia liu)
Graduate student
State Key Laboratory of Materials-oriented Chemical Engineering
Nanjing University of Technology, 210009, Nanjing, China
Email: vegalew at gmail.com
Office: Room A705, Technical Innovation Building,
Xinmofan Road 5#, Nanjing, China