[Pw_forum] About the mean square displacement in CP output

Sandro Scandolo scandolo at ictp.it
Fri Apr 30 16:10:15 CEST 2010

Dear Bertrand:

1) The MSD is quadratic in time at the beginning if you start with
finite velocities. If you start with zero velocities the MSD will be
even slower (t**4 in principle). For a fluid, the asymptotic behavior is
linear in t,  for a solid it converges to a finite value (which can be
connected to the Debye-Waller factor of x-ray intensities) in a time
scale comparable to the vibrational time scale, so not too slow.
2) The MSD computed in cp.x are 3-D.
3) MSD's are computed in subroutine "ions_displacement" which can be
found inside "ions_base.f90" in directory "Modules".

Your simulation looks ok, except perhaps for the linear dependence in t
at the beginning, but the quadratic (or other) initial laws are
generally seen only in the first very few steps, 10-20 steps are more
than enough to spoil the ideal behavior typically.

Sandro

Sandro Scandolo, ICTP | http://www.ictp.it/~scandolo