[Pw_forum] the potential of core electron

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it
Fri Apr 30 12:39:36 CEST 2010

Dear Jianchun
Place one interstitial He atom where you think it can be safely placed in the
bulk supercell (i.e., far from the defect site...). If you want, freeze the
Cd and S atoms in their positions and optimize the He position. Look at the
forces and check that they remain quite low. Then place an He atom in the
same position of the supercell containing a defect. Use the He 1s value to
align (it is a relative alignment...) the bulk and defect Kohn-Sham
eigenvalues, or use the "Delta He" as a Delta V correction if you want to
compare the eigenvalues of neutral and charged supercells. Be careful: it
works better when the number of electrons is high, so that it does not matter
very much if you add one...

And remember that someone could not like this rough estimate...

Giuseppe