[Pw_forum] INPUT file for average.x

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Apr 26 08:41:20 CEST 2010

wulilixiangguo at sina.com wrote:
>  I read below and have a question about macroscopic averages. If my
> system have a surface between two materials which have different lattice
> constant.

Do you mean an interface? (I would say a "surface" only if one of the two "materials" is
vacuum, but maybe I'm pedantic...)

How to set the awin?

Not sure of this, but I think that it is not a good idea to use macroscopic averages when
there is a change in the periodicity. For instance, in a recent paper by Singh-Miller and
Marzari (PRB, 2010) it has been reported that the technique is not well suited for slab
geometries when you account for the relaxation of the distances between layers.

How to macroscopic it twice?

Maybe I don't understand this point.

You could run the program twice, with two different window sizes, in order to match the
two different lattice spacings, but then I don't know if there is a way to give a
meaningful interpretation to the data at the interface.

GS