[Pw_forum] projector for local channel in ultrasoft pseudopotential

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Apr 16 11:53:28 CEST 2010

Dear Alaska,

asubedi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a complete newbie trying to create an ultrasoft pseudopotential
> for bismuth. I would like to use l=1 for the local part and I also
> want projectors for it.  So I have (excluding other valence electrons)

Why do you want to do this?

Do you understand the difference (theoretical and practical) between local part and
non-local part of the pseudopotential?

Given an electronic shell, for instance 6p, either you describe it with projectors or you
include it in the local part.
The last option is a reasonable choice only for some shells as far as I know (either s
electrons or empty shells). Not sure for the 6p shell of Bi, which is in valence and
partially occupied.

Maybe someone else can give a more correct explanation than mine.

HTH

GS

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |