[Pw_forum] equilibrium lattice constant determination

Emine Kucukbenli kucukben at sissa.it
Sun Sep 27 14:59:45 CEST 2009

Dear Sreekar,
Could you please clarify why, in your opinion, energy/(unit cell
volume) vs (unit cell volume) should give the minimum but not energy
vs (unit cell volume)? Since you are trying to find the gs lattice
constant, I am assuming you consider harmonic approximation around gs
lattice parameter. So You'll expect to see a parabola in energy vs
volume graph, as energy is proportional to (vol-v0)^2 around
equilibrium(v0). In principle if you draw energy/vol vs vol, you
should see energy/vol proportional to vol+v0^2/vol, which I think
should still have a minimum.But why would you do that, since you are
looking for the configuration with minimum energy?
If this doesnt satisfy you, you can always use an equation of state fitting.
Thats is my understanding of the issue, I'd be more than glad if
somebody corrects me.
emine kucukbenli, Sissa, Italy