[Pw_forum] Fw: defect formation energy

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Sep 18 15:04:05 CEST 2009

Duy Le wrote:
> if the defect concentration is too hight, when you do vc-relax the
> lattice parameter will be re-optimized. In reality, the defect
> concentration is about zero.

I must admit that I have no experience in computing defects, but I agree with the above
comment. If you want to study very low concentrations you should take care of converging
your results with the supercell size (keeping lattice parameters "freezed", i.e. not
reoptimizing them after defect formation) and add Makov-Payne-like corrections if you are
dealing with charged defects.
If you really want to study very high concentrations and take into account changes in the
volume of the crystal, you should maybe consider formation enthalpy, not simply formation
energy.

HTH

GS