[Pw_forum] K Points and Band structures

dev sharma decboy9 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 20:52:23 CEST 2009

Dear Shaptrishi Sharma,
 I am also a student like you and what i have understood, what is K points,
is as follows.

We know that charge density is given by

ῤ(r) =  Σi=1 Ne/2 |Ψi(r)|2

 with the Bloch theorem we can write as

ῤ= Σn=1 Ne/cell ʃ d3k|Ψkn(r)|2

 but since the integration is a continuous quantity, we choose the K point
mesh in the Brillouin Zone  and we have

ῤ= Σn=1 Nb (2Π)3/V Σ (k ε mesh in BZ)  d3k|Ψkn(r)|2

Where  Ψkn(r)= eik.r Σ(G=reciprocal Lattice vector) Ckn[eiG.r/V(1/2)]
 And the term in bracket is the plane wave basis

and for visualization, what u can do, make any structure, open with Xcrysden
,and go to tools --> K-path selection, there the BZ of your structure will
be displayed, with some high symmetry K points (dots).

Dear Shaptrishi Sharma, also a lot of times they have asked you to provide
your full affilation. Please Do it.

To all my guides, in the forum, I may be wrong at any point above, if so
please correct me as my group is totally experimental and its my own
understanding.

Dev Sharma,

University of Delhi