[Pw_forum] input file for isolated atom

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Sep 11 11:34:22 CEST 2009

udayagiri sai babu wrote:
> Dear prasenajit
> thank you for your valuable inputs
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Prasenjit Ghosh
> <prasenjit.jnc at gmail.com <mailto:prasenjit.jnc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     For Ti atom, the electronic configuration is  [*Ar*].*3d*^2 .*4s*^2
>     . So the magnetization should be 2.0 Bohr magneton due to the two
>     electrons in the d-orbital, which is not what you are getting from
>     your calculation.
>
>     Also your smearing contribution is -0.00972779 Ry (about 0.1 eV),
>     which I would say very high. If you would have find the correct
>     magnetic ground state, then this should have been 0.0 Ry.
>
>     As far as the bulk system is concerned, I'm not sure. It depends how
>     Ti bulk behaves. You can search in the literature to find out what
>     values of degauss other people have used.

If you want to obtain the correct ground state and magnetization for the isolated Ti atom,
I suggest you to use either occupations=fixed and tot_magnetization=2 (but this
calculation will not converge, probably), or better to use occupations='from_input' and
use the OCCUPATIONS card to specify the correct electronic configuration.
Another solution could be to use smearing and the constrained-magnetization method, though
I never used it for isolated atoms.

HTH

GS

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |