[Pw_forum] choosing degauss value

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Sep 7 08:59:21 CEST 2009

Dear Salbadu: I am sure this has been explained many, many time on
this forum,  and I would like to invite you to search old posts. In a
nutshell, mathematically allows to turn the integration of a
discontinuous function (the T=0 Fermi distribution) into that of a
continuous function; physically, degauss can be seen as a kind of
fictitious temperature (the Fermi distribution is continuous at T=/=
0), and some of the tricks that are used in conjuction with Gaussian
spearing (e.g. for the calculation of Hellmann-Feynman forces)
actually take advantage from this physical analogy. If you want to
know/understand more _after_  your browse the past posts in this form
and read some of the relevant literature, please revert to us. Stefano
Baroni

On Sep 7, 2009, at 8:35 AM, udayagiri sai babu wrote:

> Dear all
> can somebody tell me how to choose a correct degauss value for an
> SCF calculation and also the physics behind it.
>
> --
> U.Saibabu
> PhD student,
> Deformation mechanisms modeling group,
> Materials engineering department,
> IISc Bangalore,
> India.

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget