[Pw_forum] O.pw91-van_ak.UPF oxygen pseudopotential

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sat Sep 5 22:32:09 CEST 2009

On Sep 5, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

>> Also, I would like you to confirm, as Lorenzo wrote some days ago,
>> that a pseudowavefunction with opposite sign of that of all electron
>> wavefunction is still valid
>
> don't you trust Lorenzo on this issue? the overall sign of a radial
> wavefunction is arbitrary (it depends on how the integration
> algorithm starts the integration)

what Paolo justly says is a fundamental property of (linear and
homogeneous) differential equations, which is also a fundamental
property (or an axiom, if you prefer) of quantum mechanics: any
wavefunction defines a quantum state modulo an arbitrary phase (or
sign, if you restrict yourself to real wavefunctions) ...

S.

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget