[Pw_forum] references for philosophy of parallel execution

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Sep 4 09:44:26 CEST 2009

Dear Sreekar Guddeti,
   in addition to reading the documentation you have been pointed to,
please take into account the hardware (cpu and communication network)
you have at hand.
  R and G parallelization is memory efficient but involves large and
frequent communications hence it will not be efficient unless your
communication network is very good.
  For massively parallel machines (such as blue gene etc) one needs to
introduce further divide and conquer tricks (see the discussion in our
recently appeared "reference paper")
  Other types of parallelization (k-point, neb-images) involve much less
communication and can be of help even if the network is not very good.
  In any case at the end of PWscf output there is some timing report
that should tell you how much are you spending in computing and how much
in communicating ... this should give you an idea whether increasing the
number of cpus can help or actually worsen the performance

  Hope this helps,
   stefano de Gironcoli