[Pw_forum] nothing is written to the output file

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Oct 30 15:26:49 CET 2009

Dear Hong Li,

Hong LI wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> We are using espresso to relax the atomic structures of an alloy, there
> is a problem that after several days of running the size of *.out is
> still zero, nothing is written to the output file. If we kill the job
> then the output file is not empty. Some small jobs run fine, I mean the

I suppose you're running on a parallel machine with MPI. If this is the case, I think that
the delay after which the stdout is available depends on the specific MPI implementation
and/or on how the machine is configured. Anyway, during execution you may have access to
the allocated nodes and at least check if the code is running (using top command for
instance).

> information is updated from time to time during the calculation. It
> seems this is just an occasional case. Does anyone here encounter

If it is an occasional situation and it cannot be reproduced, it is probably due to a
temporary failure of one of the nodes on which the job was running.
It may be caused by many things, you should look at stderr and stdout of the job for error
messages from the operating system/compiler/libraries/... You may find that it has been
caused by disk failures/too much memory required/network communication problems/...
These are not related to QE and cannot be solved by the users of this forum.

If you have evidence that the problem persists, please provide a (possibly small) sample
input and output files

Regards

GS

  problem before, any suggestions to solve this problem ? Many thanks.