[Pw_forum] PPs of Aluminum using ld1 code(including 11 valence electrons)

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 26 18:20:17 CET 2009

Jiayu Dai wrote:
> Dear Users,
>
> I met a problem when i tried to construct a NCPP of Al using ld1. In this PP, the
> 2s and 2p orbitals should be considered as valence orbitals. I used the input file
> below, but the generated PP did not work well according to my test for the crystal
> constal and bulk modulus for Al crystal. I found the energies of orbitals in PPs
> are not equal to the energies of all electron calculation. We can find the
> information in the output file of ld1.x:

Dear Jiayu,

we constructed a ultrasoft 11e pseudopotential for Al (attached) and
tested it in Physical Review B 77, 172102 (2008) (if needed, maybe it
could be included in the pseudo table, with reference to the paper above).

I would be a bit careful with a NCPP and 11e, since you will have only
one projector per angular momentum, but the energy of e.g. the 2s and
3s are very different.

             nicola

tel 617.4522758 fax 2586534 marzari at mit.edu http://quasiamore.mit.edu