[Pw_forum] vc-relax bug?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Oct 26 18:45:30 CET 2009

Dear Marcello Rosini,
  vc-relax uses the information on forces and STRESS to search for the
minimum configuration.
  The stress is calculated as the derivative of the total nergy w.r.t.
cell dimension AT FIXED NUMBER PW and in the evolution of the system the
same number of PW is kept.
  When you minimize by a muraghan fit  you are instead comparing
energies  calculated at FIXED CUTOFF .
  This is why you obtain different results.
  Obviously for a well converged calculation derivatives at  fixed
number of PW or fixed cutoff should agree but 15 Ry is likely
insufficient for converging stress calculation in InAs.

  stefano