[Pw_forum] GIPAW pseudopotentials

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Tue Oct 13 17:30:37 CEST 2009

Dear Peter et al,

   Sorry for the long time it took me to answer!! :(

   The *.wfc files are generated by default, as far as I know.

   There is a special issue concerning the wave functions for the GIPAW
reconstruction: They are _not_ generated in the normal procedure how the
ld1.x/atomic code works, but for GIPAW they are calculated _after_ the
*.wfc files have been written: the standard part of the code calculates
them once, with some value (possibly zero) as the reference energy; for
GIPAW one then recalculates them, but with the reference energies taken
from the '&test' section. This is why the wave functions for the GIPAW
reconstruction can be different from the ones in the *.wfc files. And this
is also why one _has to_ define a reference energy different from zero, at
least for unbound states (ie. whose eigenvalue would be positive) in the
section '&test'.

   So, in practise it doesn't matter if the wave functions in the *.wfc
corresponding to empty orbitals do not make sense, but you can check that
they look ok in the GIPAW section at the end of the UPF file. I attach an
unofficial script for writing out the GIPAW data in the UPF file (it is a
very small script file). You can probably modify the output to show the
properties you want to have.

   If you still have problems with the wave functions coming out from this
script please check that you use a non-zero reference energy for
unbound states, otherwise please contact me again.

     Greetings from Zurich,

        apsi

   Ari P Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
   Physikalisch-Chemisches Institut der Universität Zürich
   Tel: +41 44 63 55 44 97  /  Mobile: +41 79 71 90 935